Women Veiled to Western Eyes

One of the most common stereotypes associated with the Middle East is the oppression of women, and the requirement of veiling the women...especially the face. Many of my friends have asked me questions regarding the veil, and I feel it necessary to take the time to debunk some common misconceptions.



Misconception: Veiling of the Face is an Islamic Requirement

This is untrue. My evidence for this comes from having read the Qu'ran, spoken to Muslim women and from my very own personal experience. In the Qu'ran it states that women should wear a 'hijaab' literally a talisman to ward the unwanted attention and gazes of onlooking men. However, this is often a choice by the woman, and depending on which culture she comes from. For instance in Egypt, many Muslim women from upper-class society do not wear the headscarf as a status symbol, whereas the lower-classes often will have their girls wearing the headscarf at all times.
However, the veiling of the face (wearing naqqab) is an ancient tribal practice. During the Byzantine era this was done to show a sign of prestige. In Yemen and Saudia Arabia this is practiced because of century old tribal practices that have been in existance until today. Interestingly enough, in the southern port town of Aden, women often choose not to wear the face veil and this is fine. Up until the unification of north and south Yemen women were free in Aden to wear western dress. However, post-unification the influence of the north filtered into the south and more and more cultural practices were introduced including the full veiling of women.

Interestingly enough, a recent study done on the rate of lung cancer in Yemen found that the rate in women to be much lower than that of the men. This undoubtedly must be due to the covering of the nose and mouth, serving as a filter.

I myself wore naqqab in Yemen on several occasions, this being by choice. Often it was while traveling providing me much flexibility. Oddly enough, even with my face covered up, people still knew I was a foreigner, at least they did when my eyes where showing. The experience from behind the veil as interesting as attention was immediately taken off of me...I blended in and was able to stare at crazy tribesman without fear of being detected. It was kind of a power trip as I was able to peer out and stare at everyone, but no one was allowed to see me.

Granted I did this by choice...if I were to have to wear it by force I would not enjoy it.

Misconception: A Foreign Woman must always wear a headscarf and be covered in Arab Countries

Saudia Arabia is a country whose cultural rules and regulations are criticized not only by the west, but by the other Arab countries as well. Saudia women are required by law to be fully covered. While a western woman is not required to wear a face veil, she must by law have her hair covered along with everthing to her wrists and feet.

Fundamental Islamists will be seen wearing full covering, including gloves and socks...but mind you this is a cultural and personal choice. Not Islamic.
I wore abeya (big black choir dress) from the day I arrived in Yemen. This was by no means required of me...I chose to do it. As a result I found people to respect me more and in all honesty I feel it only to be polite to wear it. This was the Yemeni culture, I was a guest; therefore, I wore it. I sometimes wore the veil as shown in the picture below, this was done when I was in areas that no other foreigner normally ventured. Also, I took on an identity as a Palestinian when wearing the veil, not by choice, rather people just asked me if I was Palestinian...strange. It all proved to be interesting conversation in the end.

Misconception: Muslim Women have no Choice, only to cover
As I wrote before, Saudia Arabia is the only country that requires women to cover. Depending on the religion and culture of the society of which a woman lives is a determiner for whether or not she will cover.


I have been told by many women that they choose to cover because of the harrassment that receive from men. While Arab men can be very respectful towards foreigners, it can often be the complete opposite towards an Arab woman. However, this all depends of the country and culture. For example, I have friends who live in Yemen, who wear full headscarf, abeya and naqqab; however, when they travel abroad they often shed all of these coverings. One of my friends is Syrian-Yemeni, while in Yemen she wears abeya and headscarf. But, when she travels to Syria she wears no coverings and goes around in short skirts with her hair flying blowing in the wind.

Before passing judgments on a country...it's religion and culture...be wary that there is indeed a difference between religion and culture. Practices in the Middle East are not all from Islam, they are learned behaviors deep rooted in the regions culture and history.