The Tuk Tuk Taxi

Taxis in Sri Lanka are these fine three wheeled vehicles shown here and more commonly called the tuk tuk.  Problem being is that you can't seem to find one after 8pm here.  I've been told that people have gotten into the habit of staying home when the sun goes because of their routine during the war.  No one, especially the men, wanted to leave home after dark for fear of 'disappearing'.  

Luckily I have a driver on call named Raja.   His number was given to me and he knows precisely where I live along with virtually every other foreigner in town.  As much as I like the service and the unbeatable price of $1 USD a ride, I also like being able to move around on my own...my next step is a bike-preferably pedal with a basket.   I brought this up with my an expat here and he assumed I meant a motorcycle not all that bad of an idea except that I would more than likely end up with having to have yet another surgery overseas...and unlike the others I don't think I would want to seek medical treatment here.