Sweat Insomnia

As if I thought sweating in the shower was bad enough, I have found something worse. Sweating at night while trying to sleep.

Yemen is a poor country. More than half the population lives off of $2 a day. As a result they have a series of financial issues, one being not a large enough power grid to supply people with the electricity they need to run their air conditioning in the steamed air they live in. The result? Power cuts.

I have been used to having my water cut, I even have a routine worked out so that I can always shower while there being enough pressure. However, there is no routine revolving around power cuts...they come on the whim and strike when you least expect it. While working, while eating, and the worst is while you are sleeping.

It is not humanly possible to sleep in 90+(37)degree heat and over 90% humidity. For the last few nights I have woken drenched in sweat because my power has been cut, the result is a very unrested English teacher who lashes out at her students.

For all of you living in hot places complaining of the heat...if you can read this and have the luxury of full access to air conditioning I suggest you think twice before complaining. I watch the Yemeni people suffer from the corruption and lack of education of their government...joking about how the new Minister of Power had promised no more power cuts only to find themselves with no electricity for over a week's time. And they laugh, shrug it off and say it's God's Will. I used to be amazed at the faith and devotion that people have towards their faith...and I'm starting to see that when you have a load of crap dumped on you on a daily basis, this can sometimes be the only escape and explanation as to why their life is so unfair. And for many, it does not seem fair.

However, I have the luxury and ability to change my current situation and will be transferred to Sana'a which boasts year round moderate weather with no humidity.

Al hum d'allah!