Sweating in the Shower

When I lived in Washington, DC, I used to complain of the heat and humidity. I said it was soooo bad. I obviously had never experienced an Aden summer before.

I am currently seeking refuge under a semi-functioning air conditioner. It is 40 degrees (over 100 degrees farenheit) and the air is heavy with humidity. I can not move or do anything without sweating. Even at night I walk through an outdoor sauna. I sweat while I walk, I sweat while I teach, I sweat while I speak, hell--I sweat while doing nothing! I never thought it was a possible, but I actually sweat while showering here.

I had mentioned the lack of hot water here in a previous blog. Let me rephrase this. There is now a lack of cold water. Everything here is HOT. I really would like a cold shower, but alas it's not possible. Usually my water is cut at night...and if there is some it is super low pressure, but hey it's something to wash the massive amount of sweat this environment creates.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel as I will be moving to the capital of Sana'a in two weeks time to escape this heat of the southern Aden. Sana'a is located in the mountains and has a year round mild climate...can't wait.

Until then, I will remain locked in the air conditioned fortress of my apartment.