Chou Dou Fu

In English, this is called Stinky Tofu. And yes, it describes it to the its full extent. The first time I smelt it, I actually had to stop and inspect the sidewalk to see where the stench was coming from. I was confused, as the nearest thing to me was a street vendor with a plume of steam coming up from a pot. When I walked closer, I realized that the stench was the food he was serving up to people, Stinky Tofu.
Now I'm open to new experience, new foods go with this; however, when it comes to food I like to use all five senses. Normally, all five senses should have a good reaction to the food...so when my sense of smell sends off alarm bells of 'foul stench', I wonder how I could consume such a food. A friend told me that a shop owner was once fined due to how bad his tofu smelt.
I have not tried it, yet. I will...I just have to work up to it. Many have told me that it actually does taste good...others tell me that no, it tastes just like it smells...that being pretty awful.

My other experience with a strange food came when I was at a breakfast buffet after just a couple days of arriving. I bit into a bun that looked reminiscent of an asiago cheese bagel...however, when I bit into it I dropped it in horror after finding it stuffed with a fuzzy red substance that was overly salty and really not pleasant. I must have let out a scream because a the table next to me with a couple of Japanese tourist were curiously looking at me staring at my plate in horror. I later learned that the fuzzy red stuff is some kind of shredded pork substance...and is put on loads of baked goods here.

Perhaps it's all an acquired taste?